Thursday, October 25, 2007

Of Kelisa, Kedah and Kari Kambing Kawah

I was in Alor Star a couple of days back. I was there partly to fulfill my filial responsibility as a son and partly to relinquish my long lost memory of Alor Star and the who's who in my dad's family tree. It has always be the case where mom's relatives are better known than that of Dad's. I wont dwell on this. Perhaps later when i have a child of my own.


Cik Zah in her elements at Hj. Ramli's

As far as my memory serves me, Alor Star hasn't change that much. Not since my last visit on my official assignment couple of years back; taxi driver still didn't use meter and charge fare at a predetermined rate (but i dont mind this as i understand their predicament and the hardship working as a taxi driver in an almost-shanty town like Alor Star), there is hardly any new development took place save for the new housing areas and Pekan Rabu is still the main attraction whenever you're in Alor Star despite the utterly imposing structure of Menara Telekom Alor Star.
There are two things that i am looking forward to whenever i hit the road away from K.L. These are: 1. Food and 2. Chances of stumbling upon plants and its peripheral.
On this fateful trip, i managed to salvage several polybags of plants and indulged in a heavenly kampong food.
Pak Ya was time and again reminded by his friend to not to miss Restoran Hj Ramli whenever in Alor Star. And so our top agenda has been to dutifully find this place and eat. As luck may have chanced upon us and thanks to Pak Ya's razor sharp memory of Alor Star's whereabouts, we found Hj Ramli's and eat our hearts out at this juntion. It was hell of good food they served there, no joke. The food was quintessentially Kedah. The only downside is perhaps you gonna have to bear the long queue.
Burpps.. Alhamdulillah.

3 comments:

ukanera arenaku said...

I also had a great trip to Kedah (Alor Star plus Sintok) with my parents last year. One of the things that I noticed while I was there is that the people are a bunch of obidient drivers. Very, very few cars were on the right lane and they were driving like 60 or 70 km/h. The cars with non-Kedah plates were the one who speeding!

looka80 said...

never been to alor setar like ages. the last trip was 10 yrs ago? wow.. that long ey. alor setar was just a stop over b4 me and frens headed to Langkawi. me and my mat salleh UK frens were having a jolly-good time; until we heard the tragic news of Lady D.

bencoolen80 said...

Yup, you're rite on that Haron.

Nanti kita jalan2 ke Aloq Staq ye Sham.